You’re thinking about hiring a painting contractor to paint your house. How will you know if the contractor who shows up at your door is truly qualified to paint your house?
Ask these 9 questions before hiring and you will be more likely to receive a professional paint job.
- Are you licensed with the State of Michigan? Reputable painting contractors will follow the law and are licensed by the state. However, many painters are not licensed.
- Do you have both recent and long term references? Contractors who have both of these will stand behind their work should any issues arise.
- Are you lead safety certified? By federal law, any painter who works on a home where lead is present must be certified and trained. Hiring a lead safety certified painter protects your family and your property.
- Do you use the best and most appropriate paint for the job? Ninety percent of the cost of a residential paint job is the labor. Using an inferior grade of paint will reduce a $1000 house painting job to about $900. “Penny wise and pound foolish.”
- Do you carry workers compensation and liability insurance? If not, you as a homeowner will be liable for injuries to workers on your property.
- Will you clean up after yourself? Will my house be filled with dust? Will my landscaping be protected? A painter can make your walls, your woodwork or the outside of your house look beautiful. But, if he leaves a mess you’ll be stuck with the cleanup.
- Will you stay in touch with me during the course of the project? Who do I call if I have questions? The construction trades are famous for people who do good work-you just don’t know when they are going to arrive to do the work. Pretty exasperating. A painting contractor with a full time office manager, painters who provide their cell phone numbers and an owner who is in touch with you daily will make your experience a pleasant one.
- Will I receive a written proposal? Expect a detailed, written proposal in order to have a clear understanding of what you’re paying for.
- Have you been in business in Kalamazoo area for several years? If not, you are taking a chance should an issue arise in the future. Such as honoring a warranty.
Hiring a professional painter to paint your home is not a decision to take lightly. While anybody can slap paint onto your walls, it takes considerable expertise to get a truly high-quality, long-lasting finish. At Van Tuinen Painting the answer to every question listed above is YES.